Music is a hallmark of worship at FPRCO. The music we offer seeks to glorify God and strengthen our faith. Led by Joseph Jackson and Kent Wattleworth, our music program is ambitious. We seek to offer our whole selves in prayer and praise to God. Our wide range of music offers a challenge and fulfillment to singers. Recognizing the integral role music has in our faith community; we embrace the discipline of training and practice, we commit to the continued development of our talents, and we seek to learn of God in a way that music uniquely affords.
Making a joyful noise unto the Lord is a big part of the life of FPCRO. Under the leadership of our Director of Music Ministry, there are many opportunities to share God’s message through the beauty
of music. Chancel Choir is open to all singers and rehearses on Thursdays at 7:30 pm. Bell Choir invites new ringers at any time and rehearses on Thursdays at 6:30 pm. Children's music ministries offer comprehensive music education and offered free to members and the community on Wednesdays throughout the school year for preschool and elementary ages.
FPCRO offers an accomplished and talented professional quartet who assist in leading worship.
These singers participate in and provide support to our Chancel Choir. The soloists alternate
weekly and provide an anthem during the Offertory. Their contributions to our worship service
Centennial Organ History
The organ began as Opus 942, a small instrument of 15 ranks, built by the Aeolian-Skinner Co. for radio station WWJ in 1936. This instrument was used by the station until 1954, when the use of recorded music replaced live music programs. The organ was presented to the Church as a gift by Mr. and Mrs. Howard Perkins upon the occasion of the building of the new Sanctuary as a memorial to Mrs. Perkins’ mother, Clara B. Talbot. It was installed by the local service representative for the Casavant Organ Co., J.A. Herbert and Sons of Detroit. An entirely new Principle Chorus of Casavant pipework replaced most of the original Aeolian-Skinner pipes in the Great Division at this time.
In 1965, the Möller Organ Co. of Hagerstown, Maryland installed a new Choir Division in the organ. By 1975, the original Skinner console began to fail and a new console built by the Schantz Organ Co. of Orville, Ohio was installed. In 1985, the Möller Co. was contracted to do a major rebuild of the organ. Details were to include a complete reconditioning of the instrument, the addition of new pipework and an improved layout of the instrument in the organ chamber. In the 90’s the Möller relay system began to fail and the instrument and console were converted to solid state technology. By the late 90’s, numerous mechanical issues began to emerge, increasing over the next decade, and reached near-critical status by 2010. In March of that year, Session approved the formation of an Organ Committee to examine the condition of the instrument. The committee developed a feasibility study on the repairs and maintenance needed for its renovation, and spent the next 17 months researching the best solution for the church’s immediate needs and the needs for future generations.
After careful and prayerful consideration, the Organ Committee unanimously recommended The Reuter Organ Company of Lawrence, Kansas be retained to complete the major renovation and rebuild of the organ. A joint meeting of the Session and Trustees was held in February of 2012 which approved the Organ Committee’s recommendation.
Reuter designed a new instrument, incorporating the best pipe work from the old organ, to create an organ of 54 ranks spread over three manuals and pedal containing over 4000 pipes. The new instrument is their Opus 2241 and was first used in worship in July of 2013. The dedication recital by internationally renowned organist Ken Cowan took place on October 6, 2013.